The History of Carlton House Terrace

From the demolition of Carlton House to the development of Carlton House Terrace. Discover how the Prince Regent and John Nash changed the face of the capital and gave rise to the West End.

Carlton House Terrace resized

                                                                                                                                                                                              Illustration by Suzy Margulies

Demolishing Carlton House

The original Carlton House was demolished in 1829, and later replaced by Carlton House Terrace. When the Prince of Wales became King George IV in 1820, he moved out of Carlton House despite spending a vast amount of money on renovating it, and moved in to Buckingham Palace, taking many paintings and pieces of furniture with him. A number of Carlton House’s finest features were saved from demolition, with many of the doors from the house being reused in Windsor Castle, whilst the original columns from Carlton House’s portico were donated to the National Gallery. 

 

CHT Steps cropped

Building Carlton House Terrace

The land on which Carlton House Terrace is now situated was originally part of the grounds of St James’ Palace, known as The Royal Garden and The WildernessThe architectural plans for Carlton House Terrace were designed by John Nash in 1810 and carried out by his assistant James Pennerthorne between 1827-1833. Nash had originally planned to build 3 terraces along the north side of St James’ Park, but only two were built: the present Carlton House Terrace East and West.

Originally the plan was to link the terraces with a large domed fountain, but this plan did not receive approval from the Treasury Committee and, under King George IV’s orders, a flight of steps was introduced instead. Atop of the steps is a grand Tuscan granite column designed by Benjamin Wyatt, surmounted by a bronze statue of King George’s brother Fredrick, the Duke of York, created by Sir Richard Westmacot. The column was erected in 1834 and stands at a total height of 137 ¾ feet.

 

 

 

 

 

Famous Neighbours

Posted by on Jul 18, 2013 in Artists | 0 comments

Read about our Famous Neighbours

read more