Famous Neighbours

Meet our famous neighbours!

William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898):

British Prime Minister William Gladstone lived in Number 4 Carlton House Terrace from 1849 to 1854 and Number 11 Carlton House Terrace from 1857 to 1875, where he is said to have occasionally held his cabinet meetings. Gladstone served as Prime Minister four times throughout his political career, which he began as a Conservative and ended as a Liberal. Fondly known as ‘The People’s William’, Gladstone is most often remembered for his promotion of home rule for Ireland, as well as his reform of the civil service and justice system.

 

plaques together

 

Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865):

Two time British Prime Minister Viscount Palmerston lived in Number 5 Carlton House Terrace from 1840 to 1846 and Number 4 Carlton House Terrace from 1846 to 1854. Palmerston began his parliamentary career as a Conservative, and ended it as a Liberal. He is often remembered for his interventionist approach to foreign policy and his use of ‘gunboat diplomacy’, as demonstrated in his approach to the Don Pacifico Affair of 1850, and the resulting five hour long speech he gave entitled ‘Civus Romanus Sum’. Palmerston died in office at the age of 80.

 

Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845):

Earl Grey lived in 13 Carlton House Terrace from 1851 to 1857 and then again from 1859 to 1880. Grey was a member of the Whig Party and served as Prime Minister of the UK and Ireland from 1830 to 1834. Under his administration the Reform Act of 1832 was passed, reforming the House of Commons and abolishing slavery in the British Empire. Earl Grey Tea takes its name from him.

 

The German Embassy (1849 – 1939):

In 1849 Number 9 Carlton House Terrace became the home of the Prussian Legation, later succeeded by the German Embassy, and remained in the residence until the start of the Second World War. Just outside the house, at the base of a tree can be found the grave of Giro, the alsation dog belonging to Leopold von Hoesch, the German Ambassador from 1932 to 1936. Giro’s grave is the only Nazi Memorial in London. Number 9 Carlton House Terrace is now used by the Royal Society.

 

Giro Cropped

Giro the dog’s grave